What are my core values and how do I set my do not cross lines

Every business person has to have a set of core values that they will not waiver from. These give you the basis to set some lines that you will never cross. These values differ from person to person and from time to time as you learn more about yourself. But they are defined in moral or ethical points of view that you hold. For instance if you believe in free speech you would not endorse a program of censorship . Or if you are a believer in free commerce you would not support tariff or quotas .

How do I find my core values?
First you have to define what a core value is, I use this definition. A core value is something that if I change this I change how I am as a person and how I view the world around me. An example of a core value for my is my religion. I am a Christian if I were to change this value I would no longer believe in Jesus or his teachings and would change my views on the rest of the world accordingly.
Second you have to look to those you respect for values that you respect them for. I recommend picking the 10 people in business that you respect the most and list the values they reflect that you want to be most like. Write these down and then star the ones that you have to have to be you.
Lastly write these out in relation to your business , do they impact it and if so these are the lines you must never cross. Write out in detail the definitions of the  lines. For instance if you believe in never filing a false business document , then you would make your line to be " I will never file a document that I know to be false or misleading." After doing this you will find that you will have some where between eight and twelve do not cross lines. These define you as a person and a leader. You will be using these daily in decision making and planning purposes.
These values are the moral and ethical lines that you will not cross so if you are doing business with a company that expressly crosses one of these lines , then you must define them as an unethical business. At that point you must decide do my dealings encourage or promote that unethical behavior. If this is so, then you must look at your do not cross line and decide if by doing business with this company are you crossing your line.
Why is important to know these lines before going any further in learning about business? Simply put these are you "Business Morals" and you must everyday in every action and every statement support your moral point of view. If you cannot do this then it is time to reassess the business or your morals.

I hope this brief version of how to determine your core values and how to set "Do Not Cross Lines" helps to define your moral view of doing business? If you are still struggling contact me at mcdowellcharles517@yahoo.com and I will help you through this. It is essential to learning your path into progressing in business.

Here is a simple homework type assignment : Take your business and pick 3 core values and write out the do not cross lines for these three values. Then rate how you are doing in relation to these values.


Have a great week     Chuck

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is this a coincidence?

McDowell Memo: Apathy 11-14-22

The McDowell Memo: Emergency Services dropping out of our ability to sustain